Saturday, February 12, 2022

Mardi Gras Cruise Review - February 12, 2022


Mardi Gras Cruise Review - February 12, 2022

Just The Facts:
Ship:  Mardi Gras…Largest & flagship of the Carnival fleet. 182,000 gross tons. 5282 capacity.
Ship Captain: Giuseppe Giusa  -  Hotel Director: Damir Mrsic  - Cruise Director: Chris, the Flying Scotsman
Ports: Port Canaveral - San Juan, Puerto Rico - Amber Cove, Dominican Republic - Grand Turk

This is my third cruise on Carnival’s new flagship, Mardi Gras, My 92nd Carnival cruise, and my 173rd cruise overall.  I am sailing as a solo guest on my first leg of a B2B2B2B, four consecutive cruises on the Mardi Gras.

Day One -- Saturday --  February 12th, 2022 -- Port Canaveral Embarkation  
I left the Villa about 9:30 am for my drive to Port Canaveral. I underestimated the traffic heading to the beach on a beautiful Saturday morning in Florida, but I arrived at Park-N-Cruise by noontime. I was processed quickly with valet parking and made the bus about to leave for the pier. The bus was full a sign of things to come. Due to the late booking, I had a 1:00-1:30 boarding time but they did have a Diamond line so I was able to be processed straight away, the new Verifly App helped too…no medical questions, just presented my passport card. I was actually on the ship eating a Big Aristotle at Big Chicken by 1:00 pm. There is twice the number of guests than when I was last onboard the Mardi Gras. Knowing the layout helped me this morning and it looks like I will need to use that all week. I went to my designated Muster Station located in the Theater on deck 6. They just checked me off the list and did a quick lifejacket demonstration…so simple and easy to do.  My cabin is on deck nine, an interior that looks small compared to the suite I had last week. Very adequate though for a solo. It has a great TV, nice shower, and good air conditioning, soon I unpacked and set up the cabin for the week. I had cabin time before heading down to the Alchemy Bar for aperitifs. A friend who loyally reads this blog spotted me and miraculously a chair next to them became available (thanks Sharon). But the biggest surprise was Daniel, my favorite Alchemist had just boarded the ship today and was standing behind the bar. Amazing surprise for both of us. Jennifer, another great Alchemist just came on duty and prepared an excellent cocktail for me too…my timing was excellent tonight. I went to the Pig & Anchor for dinner as the Filet Mignon is on the nightly special on this night. I had the Filet, St. Louis style Pork Ribs, the pickled vegetables, Slaw, and Fries. It was excellent. Lots of activities and shows on the Mardi Gras every night, for me the top choice tonight is Caroline Picard at the Comedy Club, she did three shows tonight. I also caught some of the Center Stage Band, I have to determine which deck is best for each particular showing on the Center Stage, many options. I retired to the cabin and went directly to bed after a busy day. It was a FUN and exciting day on the Mardi Gras.
 
Day Two -- Sunday --  February 13th, 2022 -- Fun Day at Sea 
Smooth seas overnight and I slept well. Nice and cool in the cabin. I woke during the night and updated this blog, but working online during the night is an old habit of mine…although the WiFi on this ship is the best I have experienced at sea. I went to the Sea Day Brunch in the Palms dining room about 11:00 am. I had the Steak & Eggs with Hash Browns, Bacon, Fruit, and Tomato Juice. It was good, I also saw a cruising friend who is also on a B2B2B2B. It was a lazy day for me, but there are the usual activities on the ship from Bingo to Seminars. I did see the busy cooking classes. In the late afternoon, I went on a walkabout and the outer decks are full…over 5000 passengers on board. I stopped at the Serenity Deck for a bit, but brisk winds there so went to the Pig & Anchor to try the draft beers. I decided on the Farm House Ale as it’s dry like a pilsner beer. Met nice guests and bartenders and enjoyed my beer. I wanted to watch the Super Bowl later so went to dinner early. I walked down to ChiBang for dinner at about 5:45 pm. Tonight I ordered: Egg Drop Soup, the Simple Greens Salad, Kung Pow Chicken, Hakka Noddles, Broccoli, and Ice Creme for dessert. It was very good and served quickly. The Super Bowl is being shown in almost every venue on the ship, especially the Center Stage, Pig & Anchor, and the big SeaSide Theater screen on the Lido deck. Interesting that I’m on this ship for the first NFL game of the season and the last. In September the Dallas/Tampa Bay game was close and went into overtime and they ran out many brands of beer. I preferred to watch the game on my nice big TV screen in the cabin. I enjoyed the game, the commercials, and the quiet. It was a great easy day at sea on the Mardi Gras.

Day Three -- Monday — February 14th, 2022 -- Fun Day at Sea 
Smooth seas overnight and I slept very well. I woke early and did some Travel work online then went for my favorite breakfast on the ship at Blue Iguana. I had a single Huevos Rancheros with two fresh eggs (over-easy) then added Pico de Gallo and Cheese. Of course an Arepas and Watermelon (photo right). Beautiful weather outside and not busy on deck when you go out early in the morning. I had cabin time then went to the Brass Magnolia to see Electric Violins with New Age at 11:15 am. It was then time for the Diamond Luncheon in the Flamingo Restaurant. I sat at a great table with good friends and we had a great meal, visit, and cocktails. There is a new item on the menu too. I ordered the Peaches & Greens Salad (the new item-thinly sliced peaches as a base), the NY Strip Steak, & Tres Leches dessert. It was great and the waiter I Made was excellent as was our cocktail server. FUN Cabin time and I had a nice nap this afternoon. About 6:00 pm I met a friend at the Fortune Teller Bar and listened to Owen Stephen a Guitar Soloist at the small Fortune Teller Stage. The Bar was busy but I saw Natalie, one of my favorite bartenders, and she came around for a hug…she is so sweet. I did go up to the Lido Marketplace for a light dinner, it wasn’t busy considering 5000 guests onboard. I had a nice lean piece of Prime Rib grilled for me and half of a Potato, Broccoli, and a Green Salad with Beets. I was later able to get a seat at the Alchemy Bar so enjoyed another Jennifer special, and visited with guests as I like to do. Photographers were especially busy tonight with it being both a formal night and Valentines' day…an excellent evening to people watch too. I saw some of the feature show with Mary Anthony on the Center Stage then went to see the comedy show, but the line was too long for my impatient self so decided to retire early…I have time to do it all before I leave the ship. The TV in my little interior is much nicer than I had in the big suite last week so I can catch up on some shows, unfortunately not a good variety of available channels. It was a nice Sea Day on the Carnival Mardi Gras.
 
Day Four -- Tuesday --  February 15th, 2022 -- San Juan, Puerto Rico
Smooth Seas overnight and I slept well. A bit of a stiff back, I may be getting too much rest, or I need to sleep on one side of the bed and not the middle crack. We were docked when I woke about 6:45 am. I went to Blue Iguana and had a breakfast Burrito, you have a wide choice of items, I went simple with Eggs, Ham, & Pico de Gallo. My only plan today is to walk for exercise and hopefully stretch out the back. I went off the ship into Old Town San Juan about 11:15. It was the usual warm and humid day in San Juan. A long walk to visit the beautiful Catedral Basilica Menor de San Juan Bautista then went to La Taberna Lupulo. I’ve been trying to get there for my last three visits and either had ladies present or it was closed, but I was successful today. It is the best beer bar/emporium in OSJ with 46 beers on tap. I had tap #23 Bavik Super Pils, an excellent beer. A fun few hours here before heading back to the ship (see photo). I did get in my walking for needed exercise as planned 3+ miles. Once onboard, I went to Guy's Burgers, not as busy as I expected it to be, but shame-shame the meat was undercooked. There is no pink in Guy's burgers and you need that outer crispness...very disappointed. It was a fine burger for the uninformed masses but was not a Guy's Burger. I did get an interesting French Fry concoction from Street Eats, then back to the cabin for some recovery time from the walking. Sail away was nice, I always enjoy sailing around the Fortress that guards the entry to the harbor. I took a  nap then went to ChiBang for a late dinner, thankfully they take reservations until 9:30 pm. Tonight I ordered the Egg Drop Soup, Chicken Spring Rolls, Pot Stickers, Hakka Noodles, and the Beef & Broccoli entree. It was very good. I did a late walkabout, I heard music by Chris doing his Flying Scotsmen show and Violins by New Age. Also a visit with Daniel ans Ramon at the Alchemy Bar and watched some NCAA basketball in the Sports area of Summer Landing on deck 8.  It was a great day in San Juan and on the Mardi Gras.
 
Day Five -- Wednesday --  February 16th, 2022 -- Amber Cove,  Dominican Republic 
Smooth seas overnight and I again slept very well. We were docked when I woke around 8:00 am. I had breakfast at Blue Iguana with some customization of the Huevos Rancheros It is a cloudy day but most are going ashore. It was interesting watching the Elation dock next to us, Carnival’s smallest and largest ships side by side (photo right). I went up the Serenity Deck and soaked in the hot tub for an hour + hoping to help the back and just relax. Good views of the island from Serenity on deck 18. About 1:00 pm I went to Big Chicken for Tenders & Fries. I sampled the BBQ Ranch & the Shaq sauces…very tasty. I took a short nap then debarked the ship about 3:30 pm to get some walking done in Amber Cove. I did about 2 miles including walking up to the observation bar where I enjoyed two local Presidente beers. It was a great place to take in the views of the harbor, ships, and surrounding mountains. I returned to the ship just before the 5:30 all aboard time.  I went by the Alchemy Bar and enjoyed visiting with guests and enjoyed two great cocktails by Jenn. I went to dinner with friends and they chose ChiBang so it was a return there. I ordered all Mexican tonight: Queso Fundido (good), Tacos de Carnitas (ok), Inflatidas de Camarones (fair), the Steak Ranchero entree (good), Yuca (pass), Frijoles (pass) and Creme Catalona for dessert (fair). Being from Texas I hesitate to order Tex-Mex on a ship so had to grade the items. At least I know for the future. I caught the production show d at the center stage, but they had to cancel the show about midway due to the movement of the ship. What I saw was great, I’ll return next cruise. It was a FUN and interesting day on the Mardi Gras.
 
Day Six -- Thursday --  February 17th, 2022 -- Grand Turk Island 
Rocking seas overnight but I slept well and late. I had a very lazy morning but did online work, people are ready to cruise. I went to Big Chicken for brunch. They serve breakfast items until 3:30 pm, but I had Chicken Tenders, Fries, and Slaw. Then it was Hot Tub time on the Serenity Deck, you could see a nice crowd on the beach from Margaritaville to Jack’s Shack. I did enjoy a Pilsner Urquell while in the hot tub…nice.  I left the ship about 2:30 pm to get in some walking. I found a more secluded area to the opposite side of the popular spots and enjoyed the view and crashing of the waves on the rocks. I did have a Painkiller at Margaritaville before heading back to the ship about 4:00 pm. The Elation was pulling away from the dock just as was arriving so had center stage for a series of farewell horn blasts between the two ships. Always enjoy that. I noticed a huge pile of conch shells on the pier where the Elation gangway must have been they were not allowed on the ship…I’ve never noticed that before today. I went to La Cucina de Capitano for dinner at about 6:00 pm, I had a nice table for a solo and good service too. I ordered: Nonba’s Meat Balls, Arancini (Carnival’s is the best), Pene Pomodoro, and the Pork Chop, with small ice creme for dessert. It was excellent. I then went to the Alchemy Bar for a very good cocktail by Pedro tonight. A very nice Mardi Gras Parade in the French Quarter (deck 6) this evening is on its way to the Center Stage/Atrium area. I had to visit the Fortune Teller Bar and visit Natalie, one of my all-time favorites. She prepared a Bog Juice for me, I had not tried that one on previous visits…I liked it. I did a walkabout heading back towards my cabin, many of the acts/entertainment tonight were modified due to the rolling seas … it’s become a bit rough as we pass through some rainy weather.  It was a nice day at Grand Turk and on the Mardi Gras.
 
Day Seven -- Friday --  February 18th, 2022 -- Fun Day at Sea
Rolling seas overnight and I slept very well. I went to Summer Landing for breakfast, they have a small buffet there and are usually not busy, while there I ordered one of their signature Bloody Marys, from the Pig & Anchor Bar…they have the best and the bacon is a nice touch. (photo right) I lounged in the Summer Landing pool area past noon then to the cabin to get ready for my 1:30 pm time slot for a Covid Rapid Antigen Test. There are 117 guests doing the Back to Back, but the testing went quickly. You don’t wait for the results and I never heard anything so I have to assume I was negative. I returned to the Pig & Anchor for a draft beer then went to the 4:00 pm Diamond & Platinum party in the Mardi Gras Theater. At the door, you receive a glass of wine and a drink voucher was issued to all Diamond and Platinum guests, a nice gesture by Carnival. The updated movie, as usual. They asked questions of guests who had sailed on the original Mardi Gras. The high Diamond was over 1100 days. The Strings Trio played twice so it was a nice affair. Following I went to the Alchemy for a nice cocktail. Then to the Fortune Teller Bar to met friends. I ate in the Palm Restaurant (MDR) for the first and only time this cruise…I ordered Steak & Ale Soup, Cobb Salad, and the Short Rib entree, For dessert Baked Alaska. A nice table and good service. After dinner, I was able to get a seat for the feature production show Festival of Nations on the Center Stage. Lots of costume changes with Song & Dance from around the world.  I also stayed for the final performance of the Center Stage Band, a ten-piece band, and another great show. I retired by 10:00 as I have to pack and change cabins in the morning. It was a FUN final sea day on the Mardi Gras.
 
Highlights of the Cruise
Daniel, the Senior Alchemy Bartender, arriving the same day as I boarded
The fortune to stay on board for an additional cruise
The day in Old San Juan
Alchemy Bar, Fortune Teller Bar, Pig & Anchor Bar
Pig & Anchor BBQ, Big Chicken, Cucina de Capitano, ChiBang
Festival of Nations production show




No comments: